Pre-launch. Nov 2010 – Jan 2011
Here’s where I report on how I’m progressing towards my goals of making $1 million in 999 days.
Each month I report on exactly how much I made, what things I’ve learned, what I’ve achieved and of course all the mistakes I’ve done (oh yes – I’m NEVER short on material for that section!). Expect my report the first week of each new month.
Goal is to be completely transparent to you – you’ll see what’s working for me, what’s not and what my strategies are. That way when you decide to go it alone, whether it be for $1, $1 million, $1 billion or just for fun – you won’t have to make all the mistakes I did. Hey, wouldn’t that make it so much easier?
What’s gone on so far – Nov 2010 – January 2011
So I’ve been busy since departing Ireland and arriving here in Australia 3-odd months ago. Overall I’ve been learning, taking action, making mistakes, learning, taking action, making mistakes (etc etc). Here are the highlights:
- Escaped my PhD
- Shelved my first start up (more on that later)
- Hired my first full-time VA
- Launched (and then re-launched) my consultancy site: Otakud.com
- Approached/called 42 businesses offering them web marketing services – 2 successes (I only log this as income when I receive the money)
- Read 47 business books on subject ranging from marketing, social media, psychology, sales, productivity….the list goes on.
- Joined Internet Business Mastery (Affiliate link)
My income & how I made it
Eh, well none so far. But that’s ok. I’m starting from absolute scratch here. I had my eyes open that this would be an initial learning period while I transition from university and the ‘old skool’ start-up I was pursuing over the past 9 month.
As I recite a quote from Jazz: The Only way is up!
Key things I learned
1. Quitting something can be the most powerful and important thing you ever do
2. Having a good full time VA is like a present sent from heaven
3. It’s counterintuitive but the less you sell to people, the more receptive they are to what you want them to buy
4. Building websites isn’t the ‘rocket science’ it used to be
5. Reading books/doing courses are great – but you must have a system to record what you learn and take immediate action on them – or you’ll forget most of it
6. I can live a minimalist lifestyle and be completely happy, even happier than when I have losts of cash (coming from someone who used to drink Mohito’s and buy steak dinners all weekend long –that’s a big statement!)
- Better start earning some $$ quick as savings are starting to run dry
Plan for next month
- Hit Milestone 1 and 6 (both will need to be tested)
- Expand my client base
- Launch this site (hey if you’re reading this I’m doing ok)
- Get a mentor
- Join some Masterminds
- Join Toastmasters
Awesome….will report my progress next month.